The Purifying Power of Gethsemane

This was Elder Bruce R. McConkie’s final testimony, given in General Conference on April 7, 1985. Elder McConkie passed away 12 days later, on April 19.

I am one of his witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears.

But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God’s Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way.


I love the personal foundation of the testimony he shares.

In speaking of these wondrous things I shall use my own words, though you may think they are the words of scripture, words spoken by other Apostles and prophets.

True it is they were first proclaimed by others, but they are now mine, for the Holy Spirit of God has borne witness to me that they are true, and it is now as though the Lord had revealed them to me in the first instance. I have thereby heard his voice and know his word.


This echoes Alma’s witness of how to gain a testimony in Alma 5:45-6: “And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety? … Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might these things of myself.” Alma, who saw an angel (Mosiah 27:11), gained his testimony through prayer and fasting and the witness of the Holy Ghost. Laman and Lemuel saw angels (1 Ne 17:45) but didn’t pray for a witness as Nephi did (1 Ne 11:3).

It’s a beautiful and powerful testimony. Someone has pieced his address together with video from The Lamb of God. They go together quite well.

The Purifying Power of Gethsemane” by Elder Bruce R. McConkie
April 1985 General Conference

0 comments:

Post a Comment